Installing SMF Forum Bridge
Back to Installation
Before you begin
- Currently the SMF Bridge will only work with PHPmotion V3.5 & SMF Forum v1.1.11
- Your Forum installation must be new i.e. you will need to be installing SMF Forum new with no members/posts etc
Before you start installing the SMF Forum(tm) Bridge
make sure you have done the following
- Downloaded the most recent version at: http://phpmotion.com/forum/index.php/topic,18612.0.html
- Ordered and received our copy of the license file
Unpacking the Files
Unzip the downloaded file onto your computer. You will now have a folder called V3.5_SMF
You will now have on your local computer
Installing SMF Forum
- The first step is to install the actual SMF Forum software (not to be confused with the SMF Bridge which is when you received from PHPmotion)
- Download the Forum from SMF website http://download.simplemachines.org/ (version 1.1.11)
- Upload the SMF Forum files into a folder in your website named forum
- In your web browser, open the example url (http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/install.php)
- Use the same database information as main PHPmotion site (this can be found in the file /classes/mysql.inc.php)
- Do not change the default "smf_" database prefix.
- Select Use UTF-8 as default character set option.
Changing Forum Theme
Once the forum installation is complete, log in to your FTP and do the following
PHPMotion V3.5 Users (using the Default PHPmotion Theme)
- The SMF package you received will contain an SMF Forum theme in the folder /V3.5_SMF/forum/Themes
- Upload the whole Themes folder to your /forum folder (overwriting the existing one).
PHPMotion V3.5 Users (using a Custom Theme)
Instructions coming soon.........
Completing The installation
Upload SMF Bridge Files
You must now upload the following files into the respective locations in your FTP
Run the Bridge Setup File
|Files on your computer
|smf license file we sent you (license_smf_v3_5.php)
Open your website to the url : http://www.yoursite.com/install_smf_3.5.php
and follow the instructions given.
Once done, delete this file from your FTP
Edit SMF Forum (index.php) file
Download the SMF Forum index file from your FTP /forum/index.php. Edit it as follows
INSTRUCTION: Look for this line
// Load the settings...
require_once(dirname(__FILE__) . '/Settings.php');
INSTRUCTION: Add just below it the following code
// load some extra function for the smf integration
if ( file_exists(dirname(__FILE__) . '/v3_smf_forum.inc.php') ) require_once(dirname(__FILE__) . '/v3_smf_forum.inc.php');
For further help with installation you can try
Order our installation services
Peer support in our forum