Installing SMF Forum Bridge
Back to Installation
Before you begin
IMPORTANT NOTICE Currently the SMF Bridge will only work with PHPmotion V2
Before you start installing the SMF Forum(tm) Bridge
make sure you have done the following
- Ordered and received our copy of the license file
- You have received a copy of the installation files (sent along with your license file)
Before you install the bridge, you need to decide which of these two categories your site falls into:
- A site with existing members and videos
- A new site with NO members or videos
The setup Instruction that follow are the same for both EXCEPT for one additional step (for a site with members) that is given at the end of these instructions
Unpacking the Files
Unzip the downloaded file onto your computer. You will now have a folder called smf_mod_files
Inside that folder will be 2 further zip files. no_video_members and video_members Delete the one that does not apply to you.
Unzip the remain one from the set above.
Depending on which you have chose, you will now have on your local computer
Installing SMF Forum
If you already have installed your forum before
receiving these files, make sure that the above was done, or this smf integration may not run.
The first step is to install the actual SMF Forum software (not to be confused with the SMF Bridge which is when you received from PHPmotion)
Download the Forum from SMF website http://download.simplemachines.org/
You MUST install version 1.18 which is what our Bridge has been tested on
Upload the SMF Forum files into a folder in your website names forum
In your web browser, open the example url (http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/install.php)
- Make sure you use the same database as main PHPmotion site
- Do not change the default "smf_" database prefix.
- Select utf-8 database option.
Once the forum installation is complete, login to the forum and do the following
PHPMotion V2 Users (using the Default PHPmotion Theme)
- From within the SMF site admin, select Themes and Layout and Install a New Theme
- The SMF package you received will contain an SMF Forum theme in the folder /smf_mod_files/xyz_video_members/forum/default_theme
- Upload this theme to your Forum.
- Once done, the page will refresh and you must apply the following settings
- DO NOT Allow members to select their own themes"
- DO NOT Allow members to select the Default theme
- Reset everyone to: SMFmotion.
If you have purchased a custom smf theme from http://www.phpmotiontemplates.com
the same steps above apply, expect you will be installing the theme your own theme
Completing The installation
Upload SMF Bridge Files
You must now upload the following files that where provided with the smf bridge
into your site. Upload them into the respective locations in your FTP
|Files on your computer
Edite SMF Forum (index.php) file
Download the SMF Forum index file from your FTP /forum/index.php. Edit it as follows
For PHPmotion Sites that already have members (as discusses at the top of this page)
INSTRUCTION: Look for this line
require_once(dirname(__FILE__) . '/Settings.php');
INSTRUCTION: Add just below it the following code
// load some extra function for the smf integration
require_once(dirname(__FILE__) . '/smf_bridge.inc.php');
For further help with installation you can try
Order our installation services
Peer support in our forum